Chapter 2 - Opthalmologist Appointment
I have been asked to keep everyone updated on the status of my health, specifically the brain tumor. Today has been a pretty emotional day for me. I'm trying to be grateful for the many blessings I have while dealing with the struggles of going through my own health issues, limitations, and frustrations. Short answer, surgery will be in my future. If you'd like more information, grab a drink and read chapter 2 below.
I went to the ophthalmologist this morning and he did a field vision test. More of my peripheral vision is gone than I realized. Dr. Robert Chu said that it would not be safe for me to drive until I have the tumor removed. About 75% is gone on my left eye and 25% on the right eye. We asked if removing the tumor would restore my vision. He said in most cases yes but he will need to continue to see me. If my vision doesn't return, he will send me to vision rehab. I had no idea that was a thing. But they can work with me so that I would be able to drive safely with the lack of peripheral sight. On the positive side, I am NOT blind! I can see, just not well enough to drive.
I have an appointment with the endocrinologist very early Friday morning. I'll be honest, I am a night owl and not an early morning riser. But I'm thankful someone cancelled their appointment and I was able to get in to see the doctor. Getting an appointment with a good endocrinologist is apparently pretty difficult. I'm still waiting on a few labs but I found out last week that surgery was already going to be most likely based on what the surgeon told me last Monday. He told me that if my prolactin levels were elevated, we could try and treat this tumor with medication. I honestly was hesitant to take the most common medicine as it had some weird side effects. =0 If my levels were normal, then surgery is really the only way to keep it from growing. The fact that it's affecting my vision makes it more important to get this out as it will just continue to grow.
I called the surgeon's office and left a message. I missed their callback and will try again tomorrow. Making appointments shouldn't be so difficult but you have to push so many buttons before speaking to someone or getting an answering machine. It's really frustrating and I was on the phone with a friend when the office called me so I missed it. The phone call with my sweet friend was worth it.
I feel like a mess emotionally and don't want to be a burden to anyone. We are surrounded by good friends and family and we will get through this. Collin has been very supportive and kind. He wants to be at all my medical appointments and I'm grateful he can do that. He even hung up on a meeting today at lunch so we could talk because sometimes we just need a friend and shoulder to cry on.
I've had friends who have taken me to get labs and scans and it's been a real blessing. Friends have picked up my kids and taken them to their classes and I'm so grateful they don't have to miss out on the things they've signed up to do. Friends have also brought our family meals and we truly are blessed. Each day I ask God to help us be a blessing to someone else.
I'm selfishly praying the surgery lines up where I can attend my kids' end of the semester events. But if I can’t, that will be okay. I will be happy when the tumor is gone and prayerful that my head won't hurt anymore and my vision is fully restored. I appreciate the love and prayers near and far.
Philippians 4:12-13: I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
No comments:
Post a Comment