Friday, November 8, 2024

Visit with the Endocrinologist

Chapter 3. Visit with the Endocrinologist

I saw the last specialist I needed to see this morning, the endocrinologist. I didn't realize how important of a role an endocrinologist would play in the kind of tumor I have. For better or worse, I had one for my thyroid issue but had not seen him since 2013. My surgeon referred me to his friend, Dr. Tan. Well, Dr. Tan works in the same office as my old endocrinologist, Dr. Lacken, and since I was a prior patient, I would have to get them to both approve me switching doctors. I never had an issue with Dr. Lacken. I have always liked him and his PA, so I decided to go with the quicker doctor, my existing doctor, Dr. Lacken. They actually scheduled me with his PA, Ryan, but Dr. Lacken ended up coming in to talk to me given my particular situation.
Based on what the endocrinologist told me this morning, I'll be in isolation for a while after surgery to reduce the possibility of infection to the brain. The tumor is much bigger in size than we realized compared to other things in the brain, mainly the pituitary gland. Let's be honest, I was NOT a science girl in high school or college, my degree is in English. On the bright side, I have excellent research ability. My endocrinologist told me this morning that the tumor is also cutting off blood to my brain and really needs to be removed asap. They asked when my surgery was scheduled. I'll get to that in a minute. The endocrinologist said if my neuro surgeon is unable to remove all of the tumor during surgery, then I'll have to have radiation afterwards to make sure it is completely gone. My PCP told me it was big and thought they'd have to try to shrink it but it's not shrinkable based on the kind of tumor or is, so surgery is my only option. It doesn't appear to be growing out of the pituitary gland, because my labs are normal. However, it is pressing on the optic nerve and pituitary gland due to its size and that is what is causing the issues. Hopefully, my surgeons can remove it successfully.
Please pray that my pituitary gland isn't damaged during surgery. The tumor is encased around the gland. The tumor is 2 cm and the pituitary gland is .5 cm for perspective. I'm praying the surgeons can fit me into their busy schedules soon, have steady hands and can get this out without damaging the optic nerve or pituitary gland, and can remove it without the need for radiation.
I had to have additional blood work this morning. Thankfully my surgeon already had the labs ordered that the endocrinologist would need due to his friendship with Dr. Tan. I will need to be on a steroid for 6 weeks post surgery. Then removed for a night, labs checked, back on it until we see where the labs are. Then we will start testing each hormone because this surgery is what it is, there is still the unfortunate possibility of damage being done.
Also my vision can change again, yay (sarcasm), after surgery. It may improve from my current nearsightedness, but take weeks or months to level out so I won't be able to get proper lenses until it's at a steady level. Hopefully my peripheral vision will return. But these things we won't know until after surgery.
The next big question, when is surgery?? I'm so glad you asked. I asked that too and so has every doctor I've seen. I texted the scheduling lady at Dr. Lee's office this afternoon. My endocrinologist said he could refer me to someone else. However, Dr. Lee is one of the top surgeons in this area. I do actually have another appointment with another surgeon on the 19th and if we don't have a date by then, I'll see that surgeon. Since this surgery requires two surgeons, their schedules have to align.
We appreciate your prayers. My lesson in this is that if you feel something is off in your body, don't continue to deny the symptoms because there really could be something wrong. Also, God is with us in everything. I had to get three blood tests this morning after my appointment. Blood drawn, shot, then blood again, wait again, and more blood. Quest is a nightmare, this was in FW this time. Full waiting room. I entered my information as a walk-in. The computer sign-in system said the next appointment was 10:30, but I denied it and put walk-in. I was the 2nd person called while waiting. The phlebotomist, Venessa, was the sweetest lady. She told me I'd have to see her two more times and to just knock on the door after I got that shot and she'd write the times down she needed to get me. I hugged her as I left and asked if I could request her next time I was there as it looks like I'll be seeing my old endocrinologist again for a while, maybe life.
I appreciate all the outpouring of love and support you guys have given me. I appreciate the prayers, help, food, rides for myself, rides for my kids, etc. I want to cry with gratitude when I think how truly blessed I am. Thank you all so much.
Romans 15:13: May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

No comments: