Friday, November 22, 2024

Surgery was Successful!

Thank you for the love and prayers!

I want to thank everyone again for the prayers. I love documenting miracles and there is no doubt in my mind that God orchestrated a miracle in my life. One, I have 3 healthy and beautiful children. I have so many health markers that would make childbearing impossible, it was difficult and not without many miscarriages. But God heard my prayers. Many people with this kind of brain tumor cannot have children. Granted mine most likely grew after my kids were born but still how terribly sad. Knowing this makes having children truly a gift.
Secondly, when I unexpectedly discovered I had a brain tumor on October 18th, my life quickly changed. I went to the ER and the doctor asked when I had a CT scan last, I told him I never had. That's when we discovered I had a tumor. He called me the next day, gave me his cell phone number and told me how important it was to find a neurosurgeon the next week. He said if I needed any help he'd help me. He gave me a few names, one being Dr. Lee, who is one of the best neurosurgeons in FW. I had my primary refer me and the ER doctor made a personal call and I got in to see him. Dr. Lee referred me to an ophthalmologist, endocrinologist, ENT surgeon who would perform the surgery with him.
That following Monday I got an MRI which said I had a brain tumor, a brain cyst, and a possible brain aneurysm. My church family prayed. I discovered I have an enlarged vein that gives the appearance of a brain aneurysm. We discovered I lost 75% of my peripheral vision on my left side and 25% on my right. There have been signs something was wrong for months. This whole school year has been very difficult for me.
Several weeks before I found out about the tumor, I couldn't do the elliptical at the gym and didn't understand why I was so out of shape. I failed the cognitive test and was told this tumor was cutting off blood to my brain and I wasn't allowed to drive anymore. That's why I couldn't do it. That's why driving was so exhausting. I was told I could lose my sight if I didn't get this tumor removed. There was a risk I could lose my vision with the surgery. We didn't know where the tumor was coming from but knew it was 10% abutted to my optical nerve and surrounded the pituitary gland, and on the carotid arteries. Surgery sounded risky and a bit scary. But God was there.
Friends stepped in and volunteered to take my kids to their classes, take me to doctor's appointments, tests, took me to lunch, brought my family dinner, and have brought some freezer meals and set up a meal train for a month as I recover. This is God working through others. This is what Christians do for others. We are the hands and feet of Christ. These friends aren't just people I go to church with. Although the majority are because I have the best church family. These are also friends from co-op, AHG, and as far back as high school. Friends hired a maid to clean my house while I was having surgery. Friends are loving on my kids to let me read. I'm also grateful for all the prayers. Prayers from all over the world, friends near and far. God has heard our prayers.
Dr. Lee told me this morning he was able to get all of the tumor he could see. He said it was bursting out of the bone and area that protects the pituitary gland and optic nerve. He said the wall to the tumor was disintegrating and easy to remove. One he removed the tomorrow he said my optic nerve relaxed. He said it was really easy to remove and came apart easily. He didn't get a picture but said it was colorful. Part of it was light pink and other parts gray. The first thing I said when I opened my eyes in the OR was that I could see! That became my number one prayer. My hormones could be messed up but my pituitary gland is still intact, there's a possibility that Dr. Lee removed the tumor and didn't damage this gland. He said this morning he's just doing the Lord's work. He prayed over me and I truly believe he is doing exactly what God called him to do. And with the help of the Lord has the helped many people giving God the glory.
I'm a huge believer in prayer. I asked Dr. Lee and the nurses who helped me after the surgery what we could pray for them about. Dr. Lee that he's about to continue to have good health to serve the Lord, Nurse C for his wife and baby due in early February, and Nurse L that her 45 year old daughter call her and seeks her out. We're all going through similar struggles. But when we join together we are not alone. There was a patient airlifted last night, a patient code blue and a patient code TTC. I was honored to be there to pray for those people and the medical doctors and nurses that assisted them.
God doesn't always answer our prayers how we want. I know many of you have gone through very difficult times. I have too. I've been on the floor weeping from the loss of my unborn babies, my mother, brother, grandparents, and friends. I also know that we are all still here. We are still on this earth and able to serve others and bring glory to God. Maybe you need help. If that's the case, that's okay. Let's get together and get you the help you need. Or talk with a close friend. You don't have to live alone. After you're healed you'll be about to serve others.
These special friends and family came to be with Collin McCormick during my surgery and some stayed to visit afterwards. I know others of you wanted to see me in the hospital when I was out of ICU but I was about to go home today. My pain was mostly coming from all the IVs in my hands and the only way to get them out was to go home. Thankfully my vitals were all good and I was cleared to be discharged. I have to limit my contact with others for a few weeks to avoid getting sick and to rest. My nose is sore from them removing some bone in my nose. My throat hurts and talking is a little painful. I can't bend over or pick up anything over 5 lbs for at least 4 weeks or sneeze. But my vision is better than it's been in a very long time. I have my post op appointment in a few weeks and feel certain I'll be able to drive again soon. We love and appreciate you all!

I want to thank my sister and friends who helped with the kids while I was having surgery and in the hospital and recovering at home.





































No comments: