Monday, May 3, 2010

First cloth diaper purchase

After doing a lot of research and talking with about a dozen people we decided to go ahead and purchase our first set of cloth diapers.  We bought 12 bumGenius one size all in one cloth diapers.  We decided to make this our first diaper purchase because of the ease of use, great reviews, and simplicity.  There is no inserting or special folding required with these diapers.  They also will last from birth (around 7 lbs) to 35 lbs.  Although several people have said they really don't fit well until a baby is 10-12 lbs.  There is also a 30-day money back guarantee on these, so we can try them pretty much risk free.  Several of my friends love these.
We plan to buy 12 more cloth diapers but have not decided which other kind to buy yet.  We are mainly considering three other cloth diapers.  The first is the bumGenius 3.0 deluxe All-In-One Cloth Diaper, see below.  This one has velcro just like disposable diapers.  It also has great reviews.  One of my friends is going to let me see one this week.  It also lasts from birth to potty trained.

The other diaper is the FuzziBunz Perfect Size Cloth Diaper, pictured below.  Another friend really loves these and I borrowed one to show Collin.  They are well made and I really like the snaps.  They have great reviews too.  FuzziBunz also makes a one size and supposedly it will fit from birth to potty trained. However, I really like the way the perfect size looks, feels, and functions.  Also FuzziBunz promotes that baby will not get a diaper rash.  Yay!
  
The last one we are seriously considering right now are BabyKicks Organic One Size Fitted Diaper.  This one is made in Germany and is also one that can last from birth through potty training.  One cool feature about these are when your child starts potty training you can loosen the top snaps and they become training pants.  I am hoping to find a store locally that sells these this week. 

I think any of these diapers are good choices.  I'm just not sure which ones we will like the most.  We have thought about buying a few of each of them, evaluating them and then purchasing more of the one we liked the most.  If you have used any of these, what are your thoughts?

2 comments:

The Campbell Family said...

Out of curiosit, how much was the initial 12 pack that you bought? I'd be interested to see what you think about cloth diapers after using them for awhile. I have one friend that loves them, but haven't heard of anyone else trying them. Let me know!

Collin and Marisa said...

Emily,

We spent $265 for the 12 diapers we bought. There are a lot that are cheaper and some that are more expensive. One reason ours cost more is because they are made from organic cotton. Caden has such sensitive skin and cotton is the only clothing he can wear that doesn't iritate his skin.

Our diapers shipped from the U.S. Monday, so once we get them and use them I'll let you know how it goes. I have about 8 friends that I know of that use cloth diapers. I only knew of 2 people before I really starting considering trying it. I was pretty surprised how many people use them.

By the way, I'm considering buying a day pack of Flip Diapers. For about $50 you get 6 diapers and you can use disposable inserts when you're out if you want. The inserts are still smaller than diapers. Then at home use the reusable ones. Here's the website with information on Flip. http://www.diaperjunction.com/flip-one-size-diaper-day-pack.html

One more thing, most of the diapers from this website have a 30-day money back guarantee. So if you don't like the diapers you can send them back.