Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Do stores in Germany sell cloth diapers?

I have visited two stores so far this week looking for cloth diapers. I really wanted to see the BabyKicks Organic One Size Fitted Diaper that is made in Germany.  The first store I went to this week was Kaufland, which is kind of like a Walmart but a lot smaller. They did not sell any cloth diapers.

Today I went to Toys R Us and they only sold one kind. It was a rather large piece of fabric thing. I talked with three employees, I'm glad they weren't busy because they were all trying to help me. The one who spoke English the best tried to explain how the fabric worked. Apparently you tie it around the baby multiple times. He said, however, that most Germans do not use cloth, they use Pampers. I asked if they knew of any stores in Germany that sold cloth. He said no and to try online. I told him I was surprised more Germans did not use cloth considering how small our trash cans are. I said once my son was born we had to trade in for the largest size (which is about the size of our small in the States). The trash men also only come every other week. The employee said, "yeah, I know, but Germans are lazy and just use disposables diapers." I asked them if they knew of any stores that sold cloth diapers and that I was specifically looking for some that functioned like a disposable. None of them knew of a store that would sell cloth diapers nor have they ever heard of a cloth diaper that looked and worked similar to disposables.

I am now starting to wonder if BabyKicks Organic One Size Fitted Diaper is made in Germany but marketed to Americans and the British. 

When I got home today  I was determined to find a cloth diaper retailer who would sell and ship inexpensively overseas. And I found one, Mom's Milk Boutique. The BEST thing about this company is they offer free shipping. There is no minimum purchase on most items. All US orders qualify for free shipping in the USA and to military addresses. Another neat thing is they ship to almost any address internationally. There are some brands that they cannot ship internationally. But many products they ship for FREE internationally, which is very rare. So expat friends, if you have been considering cloth diapers and want to pay cheaper USD prices for them, check out Mom's Milk Boutique. They also sell other products besides cloth diapers.

These past few days as I continue researching cloth diapers, I have discovered the Flip Diaper. It's a hybrid diaper that looks easy to use and is very economical. I went ahead ordered a Flip Day Pack: Stay Dry today for $49.95, which basically is like buying six cloth diapers. They are made by bumGenius. I'm going to look at the bumGenius 3.0 tomorrow and am still considering buying some of those or the FuzziBunz to complete my stash of cloth diapers. But for $50, I thought I'd go ahead and buy this day pack that seems like it will be great for overnight and day trips. Another cool thing is you can buy disposable inserts if you want. Right now I'm going to try the cloth inserts and see how I like them overall before buying any disposable inserts. Once I receive the Flip, I'll let you know how I like it. This is what the Flip diaper looks like.
 
I am super excited about trying cloth diapers. Maybe that's weird, but I'm just tired of throwing away so many diapers. It is probably just a personal thing but it seems easier for me to wash a load every other day or two then continuing to pile our trash with disposable diapers. Of course once the washing begins that will probably be another story. Remember, I hate doing laundry and Collin does take out our trash. I'm sure Collin will be happy once we receive the diapers and I move onto something else to talk about.

3 comments:

Christy said...

hehe...I'm still trying to convince Brent that we should even try cloth. I'm pretty sure he would like me to stop talking about them, too. BTW, I did find my cloth diper list, with several websites and differnet types of diapers that I am considering. And Mom's Milk Boutique is one of the sites on my list. I accidentally left it at my office yesterday, though, so I will have to get the rest of that info to you later today. But it sounds like you will be the one giving me input and thoughts on cloth diapers...if I can ever convince Brent ;)

Christy said...

OK, here are the websites that I am considering buying from:
babybunz.com (my SIL's SIL uses this site), Mom's Milk Boutique, and www.cottonbabies.com

I have heard that having a large wetbag is essential for keeping smells from getting too bad. And that the best wetbags have a zipper b/c a drwstring just doesn't cut it. The mom's milk site has quite a selection of wetbags.

The diapers that I am most leaning toward right now are snugglebottoms (from babybunz) and the Bummis super whisper wraps. I have heard that having the separate diapers and wraps is easier than the all in-ones because you can use the wraps through several diaper changes, and the drying time is a lot faster because there is less bulk.

Some other diapers that I am also considering are the kissaluvs hybrid contour, kissaluvs contour, BumGenius 3.0 (I heard this a a good one for overnight) and the thirsties v2.0 wrap.

I'm sorry, but I have practical knowledge to give you right now...only what I have heard from others. I look forward to hearing what you think about the diapers you try, though :)

Collin and Marisa said...

Thanks for the links and your input. I just realized that babybunz.com sells a German brand lotion, soap, etc. called Weleda. Their face cream is one of the best ones we have used on Caden.

I've heard that the all in ones do take longer to dry but are the easiest to use. I saw the bumGenius 3.0s yesterday and they look very simple to use too. I ended up buying some FuzziBunz last night that were on sell at Mom's Milk Boutique so I'll be trying those, bumGenius all in ones, and bumGenius Flips. I'll let you know how they work out. If you end up getting any I'd love to hear how they work. The snugglebottoms look really affordable and easy to use.

I bought two wet bags from Amazon and two cloth diaper liners. I'll have to check to see if the wet bag is a draw string or zipper. I remember it had great reviews and came in a pack of two.

I can't wait to get my cloth diapers in the mail. That's funny that you've been talking to Brent a lot about it too. Collin finally made a spreadsheet of all the different ones we were considering and we looked at the cost and the budget and realized they will quickly pay for themselves. So even if we hate them we can probably resell them to someone who loves them. I'm hoping we'll love them too. Today I bought two boxes of disposables since we're about to go out of town for a week and are almost out of disposables and don't have our cloth in yet. I hope we get the cloth in the mail next week.