Moving to Germany has changed me in a lot of ways, especially in regards to consuming less and taking better care of the environment. You can recycle almost everything here. In fact, it is looked down upon if you throw recyclables away or have too much trash. In fact, most fast food restaurants use real plates and silverware if you are eating there.
I have been thinking about ways I can be less wasteful. This past week it was brought to my attention how wasteful and harmful disposable diapers are. Obviously there is a big debate over whether or not disposable diapers are really more wasteful than cloths because with cloth diapers you have to wash them and that uses water. However, I had no idea that every disposable diaper takes 500 years to decompose. Also, over the years disposable diapers have incorporated even more potentially harmful chemicals that may not be the best for a baby's skin.
When I was pregnant with Caden we considered cloth diapers but after thinking about how people used to use them I thought it would be too much work with all the folding, diaper pins, etc. involved. Also I was uncertain that I'd want poopie diapers washed in my washing machine where I wash the clothes I wear. Not to mention I am not a laundry person, meaning I really do not like doing laundry. I do because I have to, I don't let it pile up, because I don't want to be overwhelmed.
This past week I have been doing a lot of research on cloth diapers and have talked with several people who use them. Cloth diapers have come a long way. In fact, besides washing them, they can be just as easy as disposable diapers. Not to mention in the long run, less expensive, thus we would be able to keep more green bills in our wallets. So economically it can be worth it too. Especially since we already use one of the most expensive disposable diapers because our little guy has such sensitive skin.
Right now I'm torn between three diapers. BumGenius One-Size Organic Cotton Diaper, BumGenius One-Size (non-organic) Cloth Diaper, and FuzziBunz One Size Pocket Diaper.
While we will still use disposable diapers sometimes, such as when we travel, I really hope that we become successful cloth diaper users.
What are your thoughts on cloth diapers? If you use cloth diapers, what do you recommend? We have not ordered any yet but hope to soon. Also does anyone have any thoughts on cloth wipes? I'm thinking about buying some of those too.
3 comments:
You and I are in the same position right now...although it sounds like you are a little closer than I am. Brent is not on board yet...but I am pretty much thinking cloth is the way to go. We are not looking at all in ones or pocket diapers, though. At the moment I can't remember the name of the diapers we are looking at, but the covers I am looking at are bummis and thirsties. Later today, I will find the websites I am looking at and the list of things I am considering and will share with you.
I remember reading on your blog about you considering cloth and meant to comment but the timing was bad and I never got back to commenting. Yes, please send me the link.
If Brent can change a disposable he can change a cloth. Another added benefit of cloth is they are cute! =)
-Marisa
Will and I chose not to do the cloth diapers, but we have several friends that use them. One of our friends posted on her blog about which one she uses. Here is the link: http://mattashleypittman.blogspot.com/search/label/Cloth%20Diapers You have to scroll down a bit for that post. Hope the link works and helps you out!
Post a Comment