Saturday, March 13, 2010

Barcelona Highlights

Barcelona was amazing and interesting!  Before you read on, animal lovers and those with queasy stomachs beware!  There are a few pictures that might be disturbing but I wanted to share with you the whole experience.  Well, almost. 

We spent three nights and three days in Barcelona.  I do not recommend our hotel unless you are on a tight budget.  It was a nice 4-star hotel, however, it was a bit far from the city center, about a 30 minute bus ride.  We stayed at Hotel FrontAir Congress.  The only benefit besides the cost is they offer free airport transfers.  They also had a nice Turkish bath, swimming pool, and spa.  Other than that you'll spend a great deal of time commuting into town. I would recommend staying somewhere close to Las Ramblas, especially if you have limited time in Barcelona. There was a mall next door to our hotel with a grocery store that had some interesting meat for sale.  PETA would not be pleased with this display.  Since I had never seen anything like this, I took a picture.


Some people like to buy their pork attached to the hoof. Maybe it makes it more natural? No thank you! Collin, however, has had Iberian ham before and said he likes it! Not surprising if you know my husband, who is willing to try just about anything. Ask him about the jello-like meat he had in Bad Duerkheim. Sorry Sweetie, we're not having hoof for dinner, EVER!

Our first full day we strolled the streets of Las Ramblas.  We saw a lot of street performers and enjoyed all the interesting pet store stands and markets.  We spent a few hours strolling the street and stopped for coffee and dessert like a good European does.


One of the markets in the Las Ramblas district displayed something that reminded me of my high school biology class.  So sad.  After visiting Barcelona I seriously reconsidered becoming a vegetarian.  I mean seriously, does this really help them sell their pork?  I also now wonder if the animals they were selling on the street were for pets or to eat.  They did sell live chickens and roosters in a few booths.

I guess these little piggies went to market...and stayed!

While we were walking to get on the cable car we saw a man riding his bike totally naked. Scroll down to see the picture.  Just kidding.  I did not take a picture!  That's something you don't see in Texas, at least we never have!  We took the cable car across the Barcelona Port (Transbordador Aeri del Port) and saw amazing views of the city.  The cable car dropped us off on Montjuic Mountain.  There is a second cable car on top of Montjuic but we didn't ride it.  We got some ice cream and it started to sprinkle on us so we decided to head off the mountain. 

View of Las Ramblas from the cable car
Monument of Christopher Columbus built at the site he arrived in 1493 after he discovered America
They say if you drink from this fountain you will return to Barcelona.  Collin tried to turn it on but it was broken.  I guess we won't go back to Barcelona.  =(

We also stopped at a park and let Caden play.  This was his first time to swing on a swing and go down a slide.  He had a great time!  I look forward to the weather getting warmer in Germany so I can take him to the park here.


On our way to the cruise ship we took a taxi from our hotel and drove past the other side of Mount Montjuic and passed an interesting cemetery.  The Montjuic Cemetery is quite impressive and has graves on all levels of the mountain and is the oldest cemetery in town.  We have never seen anything quite like it.


Our last full day of Barcelona we took the metro to Park Güell.  I have never seen a park like this.  The park was designed by Gaudi and is built on a mountain.  There was a musician playing music, some entertainers, beautiful views, and lots to explore.  It's a nice place for adults and children.  Some say Gaudi's work inspired Dr. Suess.







Next we went to see Sagrada Familia.  This church was designed by Gaudi but was never completed.  It is amazing!  It was getting late, we were tired and it was cold, so we did not get to go inside the church but wish we did. 


  
If you've ever been to Barcelona, please share what you thought of the city. It was a very unique city and we enjoyed our visit.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I've been to Barcelona as well and loved it! I've been to the park by Gaudi and have seen the Cathedral but we couldn't go in when I was there either. There are also some fantastic buildings through the city that he designed. Definitely unique.. Your pictures brought back tons of memories! The summer I graduated from high school I spent 2.5 weeks in Spain and 2.5 weeks in Germany with the exchange students we hosted when I was in high school and their families. I went by myself and it was a great experience.

Jocelyn said...

Looks like a nice and interesting trip. My sister has been there are enjoyed seeing the things by Gaudi as well. The pictures are really neat.