Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Great Marriage Retreat

This past weekend we went to a marriage retreat in Heppenheim, Germany. We stayed two nights at the hotel the retreat was located. It was really nice. The retreat was sponsored by the unit Collin works for. There were around 30 couples there. The retreat started Friday night, during Caden's bedtime. They offered childcare but we decided Friday night to just let him stay with us. Saturday morning we let him go to the childcare and after about 20 minutes I heard a child screaming and crying. So I left and walked next door. Caden was fine and happy but there was one child crying in a corner and another one throwing up! I took Caden from one of the caregivers and told her I'd watch him (I didn't want her cleaning up the throw up with my baby in her arms). I also didn't want him to get sick! Needless to say he stayed with us through the rest of the sessions. He's an easy going baby and everyone there was impressed with him and commented on how happy he is. He has yet to meet a stranger and is always smiling and laughing!

Saturday night I left the session early to put Caden in bed. He was getting pretty tired and it was past his bedtime. Sunday morning was the last session and it was great. The retreat was on Understanding the Love of Your Life and was created by Walk Thru The Bible Ministries. Friday night we all took a personality test. Saturday the sessions were about understanding our mates personalities, and Sunday was combining our personalities together to form a stronger and happier marriage. Collin's personality type is IC and mine is ID. So our highest score was the same.

Saturday afternoon we took a short day trip to Worms, Germany, and did a driving tour of the town. It was snowing and very cold outside so we decided not to join the tour group. Caden took a nap in the car and Collin and I got to talk. Worms is known for several things, the first complete translation of the Bible in modern English was printed there in 1521 and Martin Luther was declared an outlaw after refusing to recant his religious beliefs. Worms is a cute town and we hope to go back when the weather is nice.

We had a wonderful weekend. We probably got the biggest snowfall of the year this past weekend and the road conditions for our area were red, meaning don't drive unless you have to. We had to drive home and we just took it slow. Thankfully not many people were out driving. Unfortunately, I got sick at the conference. Several people were sick and I tried to wash my hands frequently like I always do and avoid people coughing but I somehow still caught something. Other than that we are glad we went and hope to go again next year.

One more thing, Caden's 4th tooth broke through Saturday. He now has four teeth. Two on top and two on bottom. Here are a some pictures from this past weekend.

Collin and Caden at the restaurant Saturday night - Caden fell asleep during dinner

The band playing at the restaurant

Some of Collin's co-workers and their families that were at the retreat

Martin Luther statue in Worms

Church in Worms

Caden smiling at McDonalds, you can see one of his front teeth

Heppenheim, Germany


Lots of snow in Heppenheim

Marisa standing outside the square in Heppenheim

Pretty snow, Heppenheim

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

looks like a great trip! that is fun that caden has 4 teeth now...pretty soon he will be able to chew up "big people" food! he is so cute!

The Campbell Family said...

Beautiful pictures of the snow in Heppenheim. I love it!! :) Glad you had a good retreat and good weekend.