Friday, January 22, 2010

Hungry for red cabbage?

I started craving German red cabbage after our joint German-American church service. At the pot luck I tried some of the BEST red cabbage I have ever had. So I decided to make it myself. We have been cooking a lot since we moved to Germany. Not only does it get really expensive to eat out but we also miss "American" food. Or shall we say, "Southern" food, like Mexican food, roasts, and briskets. With all of that in mind I thought I'd share this yummy recipe with you. It's cheap, easy, and very good! The only downside is it takes some time to cook. So feel free to eat it with any main dish you want. Or you can even eat it by itself, it's that good! We ate this with Texas brisket the first night and ham the second. We mixed a little German with a little Texan and it was great...just like our time in Germany.

GERMAN RED CABBAGE
(you can also use white cabbage)

1 med. red cabbage
3-4 apples
1/3 c. shortening or lard
2 Tbs. vinegar
1 c. water
1 c. sugar

Quarter apples and remove core. Saute apples in shortening, shred cabbage, add to apple and shortening. Bring vinegar, water, and 1/2 cup sugar to a boil. Once the sugar is dissolved, add to cabbage. Cook for 1 hour or until cabbage is done. Stir every 5-10 minutes making sure all the cabbage has a chance to cook.

No comments: