Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

I remember when we lived in Germany, many of our friends' children got something called, Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. I used to count our blessings that we were spared that disease. Mainly because it sounds so horrible!

Well, this past week, I realized as a mom, I have some failure moments. Caden and it seems like Gracie, both have Hand, Foot, and Mouth. Last Wednesday, Caden started having an ulcer in his mouth. I thought he got his first canker sore. He went to VBS, swimming lessons, and tennis lessons. We visited with friends and kept plenty busy. Then Thursday morning I noticed he had a lot of bug bites on his feet. I thought, yep, the ants finally got him. He loves messing with ant beds and the bumps on his feet looked like a lot of bug bites. Sunday we went to church and Sunday evening to a mystery dinner with church where thankfully he swam for several hours. At bedtime Collin noticed he had bumps on the palms of his hands that looked like the bumps on his feet. Over the weekend his mouth was hurting more and more. I looked at them and thought, this has to be something more than canker sores and bug bites. I had read on Facebook that a number of my friends' children had Hand, Foot, and mouth. Hm, he had something that affected his hands, feet, and mouth. I took some pictures and posted them in one of my mommy FB groups. Sure enough, a number of friends confirmed that's what it was. A few of these spots are also on his bottom.

The next morning I looked Gracie over. She mostly had a slight diaper rash which she rarely gets with a few of these bumps. She has three on the back of her left leg, one of her face, and shoulder. I called our pediatrician's office and the nurse confirmed that they both had Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. Neither one of them had a fever. Both seemed a bit more tired than normal, although Gracie has overall been getting less sleep than she needs. It's a virus and will run it's course. The kids are looking better now that's about over. Although we have keep them away from everyone this week. When the sores start blistering over or disappearing they are no longer contagious. One of my teacher friends said that the school nurses don't send kids home for this anymore unless they have a fever. I just feel bad for letting Caden participate in so many things without realizing he had a virus. Thankfully, Gracie seems to have a pretty mild case of it. It's her first known illness and her healthy body is fighting it off really well. Thankfully, Caden is super healthy as well and when he's sick you really don't know unless he has a fever. Which thankfully, neither one of them have had. I also want to apologize to those who I have missed telling about this. I am very sorry if your child caught this disease from us. :( Hopefully it will be mild and your kid will get over it quickly. It lasts about a week.

Here are a few pictures in case your child ever has some strange bumps. It was hard to see the mouth sores in his mouth but you can see the bumps around his lips. He's been having a hard time eating and talking. Poor guy!



No comments: