A few weeks ago we started watching some interesting documentaries on food. We have seen Food, Inc., The Future of Food, and Killer at Large. I have always been interested in nutrition and have mostly bought organic foods when I could but up until I watched these documentaries did not realize the big difference between organic and non-organic. Not to mention how much big companies genetically alter our foods. The FDA does not mandate that companies label genetically engineered foods and big companies do not want to inform the consumers of this. Therefore most of what we eat unless it is organic has been genetically engineered. Something needs to change.
Not only that but the animals we eat are not healthy or active. I remember going to Dominican Republic for a mission trip and noticing how skinny the cows were. They lived off the land, they ate grass, not corn. Of course most of us know that the majority of what we eat is not healthy. Yet we continue to eat it. After watching Food, Inc. I was convinced that unless meat is the main or best option for me to eat then I am going to try and avoid it. If I do cook it I will try and buy organic chicken and beef. We already buy organic milk and eggs and have for years but finding organic chicken and beef in Germany is challenging. Thankfully Bio (organic) foods are easily available here.
These movies convinced me that something needs to change; not only culturally but for my immediate family. One of the ladies who attends PWOC (ladies' Bible study) with me asked me about our diets when Caden and I both were sick. She has been a vegetarian for several years and since she has stopped eating meat she has rarely even had a cough. Caden seems to get sick everytime he goes to the childcare group at the chapel. I told her for the most part we try to eat healthy. But were we really? Now I try and serve us at least one serving of vitamin C rich fruit per day, an orange, kiwi, or some berries. The Reformhaus (health food store) down the street gave us some mixed tea to drink every day. At first we were to drink it 3x a day. He also gave me and Collin a vitamin C and zinc supplement to take daily. I don't take the supplement everyday but I try and take it a few times a week. The Reformhaus is pretty cool. It is similiar to the health food store my mom used to take us to when we were little. In the States there's Whole Foods, Central Market, and more. I'm jealous. =) But having a health food store that is only a 5 minute walk from my front door is not too bad and lucky for me the owner speaks a little English.
These movies convinced me that something needs to change; not only culturally but for my immediate family. One of the ladies who attends PWOC (ladies' Bible study) with me asked me about our diets when Caden and I both were sick. She has been a vegetarian for several years and since she has stopped eating meat she has rarely even had a cough. Caden seems to get sick everytime he goes to the childcare group at the chapel. I told her for the most part we try to eat healthy. But were we really? Now I try and serve us at least one serving of vitamin C rich fruit per day, an orange, kiwi, or some berries. The Reformhaus (health food store) down the street gave us some mixed tea to drink every day. At first we were to drink it 3x a day. He also gave me and Collin a vitamin C and zinc supplement to take daily. I don't take the supplement everyday but I try and take it a few times a week. The Reformhaus is pretty cool. It is similiar to the health food store my mom used to take us to when we were little. In the States there's Whole Foods, Central Market, and more. I'm jealous. =) But having a health food store that is only a 5 minute walk from my front door is not too bad and lucky for me the owner speaks a little English.
The biggest change I have made is that I have become a flexitarian, a semi-vegetarian. Collin has not quite joined me on this adventure yet because he really likes eating meat. In fact anytime I mention wanting to try to become a vegetarian or something similiar he insists on cooking bacon for breakfast, for himself that is. Thankfully I don't care for bacon very much. I am fine with Collin eating how he wants, I am not going to force my decision on anyone. However, the other night he was feeling sick because of all the junk he ate and admitted to me that I was onto something. He also enjoys the vegetarian meals I cook. Sadly he has had to work late every night this week and many nights has missed dinner with us and not come home until after Caden was in bed. This week has been stressful without him around. Thankfully I have had several playdates and social outings to keep the days busy.
I have now gone a week without eating meat. I have gotten plenty of protein through avocados, nuts, eggs, tofu, and other meat substitutes. Not only that but I have not craved sugary foods as much. I remember after eating brisket with two vegetables how Collin and I would seem to continue to be hungry. So we'd eat a pie and ice cream or something similiar later for dessert. When I cook a balanced vegetarian meal I am fully satisfied. Which is strange because I'm consuming fewer calories.
I have now gone a week without eating meat. I have gotten plenty of protein through avocados, nuts, eggs, tofu, and other meat substitutes. Not only that but I have not craved sugary foods as much. I remember after eating brisket with two vegetables how Collin and I would seem to continue to be hungry. So we'd eat a pie and ice cream or something similiar later for dessert. When I cook a balanced vegetarian meal I am fully satisfied. Which is strange because I'm consuming fewer calories.
I am not against eating meat or people who eat meat. Like I said, I will occasionally eat meat and even bought some fish today to cook. I like the taste of meat which is why I am not able to become a vegetarian. I am concerned though about the food industry and how 1 in 3 American children are now obese. There is a strong concern that children born after the year 2000 will have shorter life expectancies than our generation. I do not want my child to be part of that. I encourage you to research for yourself and strive to eat as healthy as you can. Encourage your children to eat healthy. I struggle with this as Caden half the time doesn't want to eat what we eat. So I have back up healthy choices such as fruit, yogurt, or whole grains. I still give him meat a few times a week. I know it is difficult to find the time to cook but it is worth it. One thing I have to remind myself is that simple is okay. Eating fruit and/or veggies, whole grain bread, and cheese for lunch is okay. For those of you in the States, Amy's frozen meals are a healthier frozen meal alternative. They are made with organic products and do not include genetically engineered foods.
One more tip that I have found helps us eat more vegetables, especially Caden. In the morning when I make pancakes I add a vegetable, such as pumpkin or sweet potatoes. You can usually buy them canned. Or you can steam a sweet potato or carrots even and then mash them and include it in the batter. I add cheese to steamed broccoli and brown rice, cheese can help most things taste better. As you get used to the taste you can start cutting back on the cheese. I also add flax seed and wheat germ to pancake mix, breads, and muffins. Kids seem to eat so little so I find it helps to add extra nutrients when I can. My friend made blueberry muffins today and added shredded carrots. Caden could not get enough. I'm going to try that and also shred some zucchini. Creativity is key. When you don't feel like baking, whole grain organic cereal is another great choice as is oatmeal.
One more tip that I have found helps us eat more vegetables, especially Caden. In the morning when I make pancakes I add a vegetable, such as pumpkin or sweet potatoes. You can usually buy them canned. Or you can steam a sweet potato or carrots even and then mash them and include it in the batter. I add cheese to steamed broccoli and brown rice, cheese can help most things taste better. As you get used to the taste you can start cutting back on the cheese. I also add flax seed and wheat germ to pancake mix, breads, and muffins. Kids seem to eat so little so I find it helps to add extra nutrients when I can. My friend made blueberry muffins today and added shredded carrots. Caden could not get enough. I'm going to try that and also shred some zucchini. Creativity is key. When you don't feel like baking, whole grain organic cereal is another great choice as is oatmeal.
3 comments:
Philip and I eat almost exclusives wild game that is 100% organic naturally since the animals live in nature and roam the country side to eat. I know this is not an option for everyone, but it is a healthy option most people don't think about. I have learned to cook a lot of meals I love with the venison (deer) and fish that Philip (my dad and his dad) catch and hunt.
Just a thought :)
I'm glad you and many other people are thinking about healthy ways to feed their family. It is important as you said, with all the problems with obesity.
Jocelyn, what a great idea! Everytime we have eaten food at your house it has always been really good. I may have to send Collin out hunting with Philip sometime. I'll ask you later more details like who cleans the meat, etc. I don't think I could do that. But you guys are onto something.
We buy our beef from a local rancher. It's 100% grassfed and while the rancher can't get it certified organic, he says it's 99% organic. We go in with friends and buy a whole steer then split it up. I'm with you, we don't eat meat as much as we used to but when we do, it's got to be from a healthy animal!
Post a Comment