Monday, January 31, 2011

Book Club

I joined my first book club!  I have always wanted to be in a book club but never had the time.  One thing I love about Germany is most of my friends, at least all of my mommy friends, are stay-at-home moms or work-from-home moms.  So while we are all very busy raising our children, we do have a little flexibility around naps, school, and our regular everyday responsibilities.  With that being said, eight of us decided to start a book club.  Some of the members have been in a book club before but I think the majority of us have not.  The first meeting was two weeks ago but Caden was sick so I missed it.

Here are the details of what we do. We meet every other Monday morning from about 10am to noon.  Since we are all in MOPS together and our MOPS group only meets every other week, we meet on our MOPS off week.  We drink coffee, tea, juice, and eat baked goods while we talk about the book.  Who ever is hosting creates a list of questions to start our discussion.  Since all of us have children our kids play while we talk.  Three of the moms children are in school so their children do not attend.  The rest of us bring our children along. 

If you do not have children and want to join a book club, I encourage you to do so.  I'm really trying to encourage people with small children that it is possible to be part of a book club. I have been stuck in a rut of mainly reading parenting and relationship books, so this was a nice change.  Plus it is fun talking about a book you have read with your friends.

The first book we read was The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.  You can read my book review here if you are interested.  Amazingly enough we finished the book in a month.  Our next book is Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen. We decide on which book to read by voting.  The majority wins.

No comments: