Sunday, April 19, 2009

Successful Shifting

After church this morning Collin took me to lunch and then out to give me my first standard transmission driving lesson. Since most German stores are closed on Sunday there are plenty of empty parking lots in our area to practice in. We went to one of the grocery store's parking lot and I was taught how to drive our "new" car. I only killed the engine a few times before getting the hang of releasing the clutch as I put my foot on the gas. It was actually really fun to drive once I learned how. We are planning on having another lesson soon.

This lesson I only made it to 3rd gear and practiced starting, stopping, up shifting, down shifting, parking, and reversing. I do not feel comfortable driving the car alone yet nor do I feel ready to drive on the autobahn. I would like to sincerely thank my husband for being such a wonderful and patient teacher. He encouraged me the whole time as he talked me through the steps.

No comments: