Sunday, April 26, 2009

Diabetes Test and Big Baby

Last week I went to the doctor for a regular visit. I took the gestational diabetes test, got really weak, turned pale, and felt like I was going to pass out. The doctor had me lay down because my blood pressure went up. This is how my gestational diabetes test worked. I could not eat for at least 12 hours, so as soon as I got to the doctor they took my blood, blood pressure and weight, then gave me a glass of sugar water. My doctor then did my regular check up which consists of an ultrasound. An hour after I drank the sugar water the nurse took my blood again then gave me a shot. I got a rhogam shot because I am Rh negative - this just means my blood type is negative. About 15 minutes after my blood was taken a second time and I was given the shot is when I started feeling bad. I was told to wait in the waiting room but felt like I was about to throw up so I went in the office area and did my best to tell the nurse in German that I felt really sick. This is when the nurse took me to a back room and took my blood pressure. My blood pressure was high so she went to get my doctor. My doctor told me to drink lots of water and lay down on my side and put my feet up. She told me we may need to stop the gestational diabetes test because she didn't think I have it but I told her if I can finish it I would like to. Around 45 minutes later they took my blood again. Immediately after they drew my blood for the 3rd time I ate a cereal bar that I brought with me. The nurse asked me if I was driving home and not me not to. She said I was still very pale and that I needed to call someone. So I called Collin to come get me. He was with me at my doctor's appointment earlier but had to go to a meeting at work and could not stay. Thankfully he was able to come back and get me. Meanwhile, the nurse gave me some hot tea and gummy bears - I did not want gummy bears but ate them anyway.

One other concerning thing was my doctor told me that my baby is now measuring 3-4 weeks bigger in size. My doctor arranged for me to get a second opinion on the size of the baby from another doctor since he was 2 weeks bigger than the typical age two weeks ago. On Wednesday we went to the other doctor. He has a really nice office and very high end equipment. He did a thorough ultrasound that lasted close to 45 minutes. He measured everything including the resistance of blood flow in our baby's arteries. It was really neat to see the blood flowing and to be able to see his fingers, toes, heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, etc. It kind of made me wish I was going to this doctor. Collin and I were both amazed with his ultrasound machine. His English was also better than my doctor's so I was able to ask more questions. Basically he took all the measurements and charted them for us on a graph. It showed that our baby is 3 weeks ahead of the average baby due around my due date. But according to the data information he's still within normal range, he's just on the bigger more developed end of things. So an average baby would be at 50% and our baby's development is in the upper 80% and 90% range. The doctor said this is fine and everything looks great and that I just have a big baby. He said that it is better to have a big baby than a small one. He didn't think there was a problem with me going to full term but thought I may go into labor a week early but that would not be a problem and that I probably will not have to be induced but should still monitor his growth. I am just glad our baby seems to be healthy and everything looks good. Please keep us in your prayers.

No comments: