Sunday, April 19, 2009

Birthing Class

Many people have asked me about being pregnant in Germany and how the care is. I will try to write more about my experience as I am getting closer to delivering. This is my first pregnancy so I am not very familiar with the American system other than what my friends and family have told me about it.

Yesterday we went to an American all-day child birthing class. Our teacher was great, she's a labor and delivery nurse who taught us more about the German birthing system. Unlike in America, most people have a midwife who delivers their baby rather than a doctor unless there are complications. From what my friends have told me who have used a midwife in the States, the midwives over here have very similar practices.

The midwives are big fans of natural, drug free labor and deliveries. Epidurals are available but not commonly used and can sometimes be hard to get - meaning they can take a while to receive and you have to be dilated a certain amount before they will give you one. This can be both good and bad depending on how you look at it. They like to teach women how to breath, move, and naturally deal with the pain. We learned breathing techniques, stretches, relaxation methods, and a whole lot about the birthing process. We thought it was very informative and are feeling more comfortable about having the baby over here. The midwives seem to be very caring and supportive of the mothers giving birth and will work with you and help make your experience as good as possible. I have been very impressed with all the midwives I have met so far. Since my doctor does not deliver babies and she does not work at a hospital I have had to find a hospital and midwife to aid me in the birthing process. I feel very blessed that Collin is very patient. He will be a great partner in child birth - I feel so blessed!

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Sounds great! I am a big fan of midwives :) We will have to swap stories once we both deliver!

Marisa said...

I am looking forward to talking to you about your experiences when you come. Just a few more weeks. =)