We have had a lot of tornado warnings and crazy weather here lately.
My heart goes out to those who have lost family and their homes. Due to the combination of weather issues and just being busy it's taken us a
while to get the wheels on our garden tower and fill it with soil.
Last night we finally added the soil and worms. Caden loved
helping! He told Collin several times how he loves working with him
and was having lots of fun mixing the soil. I love Caden's love of learning, willingness to help, and desire to get his hands dirty. I think one of his
favorite things was adding the worms. I'm so glad the worms are out of
my house and into our garden tower where they belong! :) Our curious boy did end up pulling one of the worms apart to see what would happen. Glad I missed that. I think he's going to love Biology, he seems to love learning about the insides of things.
We
used a combination of three types of soils: 3 bags of organic potting
soil, 1 bag of organic mushroom compost, and 1 bag of organic compost.
Collin poured the first bag of potting soil in the tower. Then he and
Caden mixed the mushroom compost and regular compost with the
potting soil in a pot and then would pour it in. After the tower was
full of soil, I added a zip-lock bag of compost I started in my kitchen
about a week ago. It had potato peels, banana peels, cabbage, egg
shells, and carrot peels. I poured that down the middle compost tube.
Last we added the earth worms. Blue Rock loved playing with the worms
and finding them to put in the compost part of the tower. Now I just
need to look at what will grow during the hot Texas summer in our Garden
Tower. I'll probably start with some kind of leafy greens and beans.
 |
| Empty tower on wheels |
 |
| Inside the tower and compost tube |
 |
| We let Blue Rock put the first scoop of soil in the tower |
 |
| Kinds of soils we used |
 |
| Mixing and filling the tower |
 |
| The tower has soil and Blue Rock is mowing the lost soil |
 |
| Blue Rock loves playing in soil |
 |
| Bag of compost and earth worms |
 |
| I'm adding the compost |
 |
| The guys are adding the worms |
 |
| Look at this worm! |
 |
| Our Garden Tower is ready for seeds! |
More pictures of the worm and soil fun!
 |
| All the bags of soil we used |
1 comment:
exciting! can't wait to see your crops!
Post a Comment