Monday, September 12, 2011

Preparing for Caden's procedure

My handsome boy!
It is now almost 8:30pm in Texas.  Caden is asleep and we made it a full day with no solid food.  Thank you for the prayers so far, I think they really helped today.  He drank 4 cap fulls of MiraLax in 16 oz. of watered down juice this morning within 20 minutes.  He had 4 hours to drink that.  Then over the next 30 minutes he drank 8 oz. of Gatorade.  I gave him a Popsicle for breakfast too and he tried green jello, which he did not like.  I don't like jello either.  I basically offered lots of liquids today and little Popsicles.  I am so impressed with the quantity of foods offered here - in Germany we don't seem to have as many options.  For example, there are some cute, little Popsicles that are slow to melt, that are perfect for a young child.  I also bought clear apple/carrot juice that said it had a serving of fruit and vegetables in every glass.  

Popsicles, yummy!
Around 11am the first explosion happened.  MiraLax is a strong laxative.  Caden has never had a laxative before and has never needed one.  He has 1-3 bm's everyday.  Sadly he threw-up his dinner last night so his stomach was pretty empty.  But the first explosion scared him and was a mess.  Thank you Dad and Cathy for helping clean up.  Thank you Collin for helping clean and bath him!  He pooped so I took him upstairs to change him.  While I was getting the diaper he walked around the corner and watery poo flowed out of him.  It dripped down his legs and was uncontrollable.  He cried, I wanted to cry and throw-up.  I called downstairs, "help, help!"  I picked him up and took him to my sister's bathroom (he's sleeping in her old room), and put him in the tub.  I took off his diaper and his shirt.  It was a BIG mess! 

Homemade wagon
Thankfully that first one was the worse of it.  My step-mother went through 1.5 cans of Spot Shot.  It was bad and the poop was all over their carpet.  My dad steam cleaned the carpet and helped pick it up.  But we made it.  Caden enjoyed playing in the bath and Collin watched him while my dad and I ran to Wal-Mart.  We bought overnight diapers and more Spot Shot. 

Building a fort with Opa
Caden drank chicken broth for lunch and ate another Popsicle and drank some lemonade.  I blended some lemonade with ice to make a slushy for him.  He didn't like the beef broth.  He played for several hours outside with the water which is a great place to be if you're having uncontrollable bowl movements.  He probably drank 7-8 glasses of clear liquids today, plus 2.5 cups of broth, and around 5 mini Popsicles.  Considering the situation, he did great!  He's such a great boy!  When I was putting him to bed tonight he finally asked for Almond Milk.  I told him he couldn't have that but offered him Gatorade, juice, lemonade, or water.  He wanted lemonade.  So back downstairs we went.

Caden's appointment is at 6am tomorrow at Cook's Children downtown, we will get there around 5:45am.  Our doctor, Dr. Cantu, is sick.  So another doctor is performing the endoscope and colonoscopy.  His name is Dr. Ogunmola.  His medical record is clean and he has been practicing in Texas for 7 years.  We're praying all goes well and we figure out what is wrong with our sweet son.  We love you, Caden!  Thank you for all your prayers.  We greatly appreciate it.

No comments: