Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Great poem for Moms (and Dads)

My sweet son!
We've been back in Germany for a week now.  Jet lag has really taken its toll on us.  I am even less a fan this time around.  I finally slept through the night for the first time last night.  It feels like we have a newborn on our hands all over again.  I'm just so thankful we had a safe trip, were able to see some of our family and friends, and we got some great care for Caden.  God is great, as always, and us going to visit the States this time around was worth it, even if our wallet is thinner, and we're sleep deprived.

I'm reading a book called A Love That Multiples by Michelle & Jim Bob Duggar.  They have 19 well-behaved, Christ-like children, so I thought why not pick up their book.  I have read several parenting books and love learning about how people parent.  Even though we only have one child, I felt like they would have some great parenting advice since they are very experienced.  Which by the way, really is a good book.

In the book, Michelle shares a poem called Love.  This poem hit home with me and made me want to frame it.  I knock myself out trying to have everything in "order" and "clean" and still have time to have fun with Caden.  I'm not a super mom and so it was refreshing to read this and realize I'm not alone, even though I only have one child - which believe me, one child keeps me plenty busy.  This poem reminded me of what is most important, which is of course love.

Love

If I live in a house of spotless beauty with everything in its place, but have not love--I am a housekeeper, not a homemaker.



If I have time for waxing, polishing, and decorative achievements, but have not love--my children learn of cleanliness, not godliness.

Love leaves the dust in search of a child's laugh.


Love smiles at the tiny fingerprints on a newly cleaned window.

Love wipes away the tears before it picks up the toys.


Love is present through trials.


Love reprimands, reproves, and is responsive.


As a mother there is much I must teach my child,


but the greatest of all is...LOVE.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

wonderful poem! thanks for sharing :)