Monday, November 23, 2009

5 Months Old!

Caden turned 5 months old last Friday, the 20th. Time is quickly passing; Collin and I can hardly believe he is already 5 months old. We both feel truly blessed. We have the best baby anyone could ask for. He is a very happy child and loves to laugh, smile, and say "hi!" He first said "hi" to me when he was 4 weeks old. He has been saying "hi" a lot more regularly and responds with "hi" if you say "hi" to him first. Could we say it's his first word? We'll see how the rest of his first year turns out. Here are some of the milestones Caden reached this past month:

- Caden is now able to sit by himself. He can sit for several minutes at a time. The nurse that comes to our house once a month said he is doing really well and seems to be sitting better than many babies his age. He sits longer when he holds onto something.
- He discovered his feet and plays with them all the time. It's amazing how flexible babies are.
- He also has wanted to put everything he can get his hands on in his mouth.
- He's moving a little on his tummy, I wouldn't say he's crawling yet, but he's definitely trying to and moves some! When he does tummy time we'll put several toys in front of him and he'll reach for all of them. It's so cute and fun to watch!
- Caden hasn't grown much last month. He now weighs 19.2 lbs and is still about 27 inches long.

The biggest change since he turned 5 months old is we have now introduced solids to his diet. He tried organic brown rice cereal on Nov. 21st. I originally wanted to wait until he was 6 months old but decided based on his size and longing interest in our food to go ahead and let him try solids. He really seems to like it. All he has tried is the brown rice cereal. We mixed a bowl with breast milk and he gobbled it up and wanted more. So we put some in a bowl and added water. He ate it too. Granted I barely put any rice cereal in his bowl to begin with because I heard many babies just spit it out and won't eat it and I heard it was really messy. He was so cute; before he finished eating he grabbed his spoon and fed himself. He seems to catch onto things pretty quickly and he's been eying us as we eat. I look forward to letting him eat vegetables and later fruits.

Here are some pictures of our precious son.

Caden getting ready to try his first taste of solid food

First bite...and he swallows it!

Time for bite number 2


Caden has taken control, he is already wanting to feed himself.

One satisfied solid food eater

Caden sitting up before bed

Here he's exploring his gym sitting up. Yum, ladybug!
This was actually taken before he tried rice cereal.

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

so cute! he is such a smart and big boy! I'm glad he likes to eat solids :) thanks for the great pics!

The Campbell Family said...

Such a cutie! Glad he liked the rice cereal. Sounds like he did great on his first try with solids. I had a friend who introduced avocado first and her little girl loved it. (lots of good omega 3's in that too)