Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving and Christmas Tree

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year. We went to our good friends from church, Rey and Denise's house and had a wonderful Thanksgiving pot luck with several other families. Rey and Denise hosted Thanksgiving last year at their house and we had a great time then too. Our meal consisted of traditional foods like turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, corn, several other vegetables, and tons of desserts. Caden's first Thanksgiving was a success, although he did not try any of the food this year, I am sure he'll love it next year.

We also have a Christmas tree! Did you know that Christmas trees originated in Germany? It is no wonder real ones here are so pretty. The fake ones in America are designed after the live trees in Germany. Our church has an annual Christmas tree tradition. The German and American congregations get together and go to a tree farm in Bavaria, find a tree, the farmers cut it down, then we all go to a working mill restaurant and eat a wonderful German meal. Last year we just ate lunch but didn't get a real tree because it was snowing and I was pregnant, so we really wanted to go this year. The farm was huge, there were so many trees. This is the first time Collin and I have had a real tree since we have been married. It is a beautiful tree. Caden loves looking at the lights and decorations. One of the best parts about this tree farm is all trees are 15 Euros, no matter the size. Our tree is under 6 ft because we didn't want a really big tree. However, many people in our group got 12+ ft trees. It was a lot of fun. Now we can finally get in the spirit of Christmas. Sadly we left all of Christmas decorations in the States except for a small fake Christmas tree. So we don't have many decorations. Everything is so expensive in Germany and the Euro/Dollar rate is terrible. However, what we have is wonderful and I feel truly blessed to have some really cool German Christmas ornaments that we spent way too much for last year.

Here are some pictures:


Thanksgiving Day

Collin and Caden

Marisa, Caden, Courtney, and William

Denise and Karla

Scott and Rios

Rey

Rita and Perry

Andrew, Courtney, and William

Christmas tree on our car

Our tree is up and decorated!

Caden loves our Christmas tree

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

that sounds like a wonderful thanksgiving and a fun trip to get your tree! how neat! love the pics!

The Campbell Family said...

Glad you had a tasty Thanksgiving that you could spend with friends. Yay for a real tree... Hence the song "O Tannenbaum". I put up our fake tree the other night but haven't decorated it just yet other than lights. (which is a first for me) I was just too worn out after getting it set up-lol. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can do it. I'll post pictures once I finish.