Friday, December 19, 2008

3rd Doctor's Appointment

Last night I had my third baby doctor appointment. We got to see our baby through a 3-D ultrasound, it was amazing. Everything looks good and the baby is developing nicely. My German doctor does a very thorough exam everytime I go. She even exams the test results through a microscope while I am there. I have never seen a doctor in the States use a microscope so this is pretty neat. It reminds me of some of the science classes I took in school and am thankful that some people do use microscopes outside of labs and classrooms. Part of me wants to ask her if I can look at what ever it is she is looking at but I resist. As she looks through the microscope she tells the nurse what she sees in German, so I have no clue what they are talking about. Once she is done she tells me everything looks good.

The most challenging experience during my pregnancy so far has been being "house-bound." I am not immune to rubella (German measles) even though I was vaccinated twice as a kid. Therefore, my doctor has advised me to stay home and not go out because it would be very dangerous for my baby if I were to catch rubella during the first half of pregnancy. I have been following her orders pretty well. I still get out and take walks every now and again which is fine as long as I stay away from people. Last night she said it should be fine if Collin and I went to France over Christmas but we should not to go inside museums or churches. Basically anywhere inside that could be crowded. She said walking around outside in cute little towns should be fine because not a lot of people are out during this time of year and I have less of a chance catching the virus outside in the cold than inside somewhere.

Overall if I had to choose a time to be pregnant and stuck indoors now is better than any. The weather is cold and wet so I am not missing much being outside, except for the Christmas markets and being around friends. Thankfully, several of my friends have stopped by to visit and I have received lots of nice phone calls and emails and have stayed pretty busy.

No comments: