After meeting with the first oncologist radiologist, I went home and cried for the next two days. I also decided to get two more opinions. Having a brain tumor is not fun. Brain radiation is serious and there are risks and side effects that could occur and will occur. Knowing that it most likely will only be a matter of time before my pituitary gland starts failing and I'll need to be on hormone supplements is quite depressing. I'm going to share my Facebook update and and then a 4th opinion as well. My advice for any medical care is that if you're uncomfortable with something, get another opinion if you can. The 3rd leading cause of death in America after heart disease and cancer is medical errors and injuries. Not only that but side effects from medical treatment can be lifelong. Even if someone doesn't die from medical injuries they could have permanent damage done. Please say a prayer for me if you think about it. I have a pretty big decision to make and I'd like to make the right one.
At my 3-month post check-up from my brain tumor surgery, we discovered I have a pretty large residual tumor. I've been referred to get radiation to hopefully kill it so it will stop growing. I've seen three different oncologist radiologists. They each have a different approach. There are always side effects to radiation treatments, usually they are long term but some are short term. Radiation to the brain is scary to me. My tumor is benign, thankfully. However, that doesn't stop it from growing and if it continues to grow surgery would be needed again. I feel better than I have in many, many months. I am not on any medication but after radiation there's a high probability of needing hormone replacements for life. This is not a door I wanted to walk through so I'm really having to try and give it to God. Lots of prayers and studying. Several close friends have been praying for me but I'd love more prayers if you think about it. I want to be as comfortable and confident as possible going into this.
Here are my options.
Doc1: 5 treatments with TrueBeam (this is similar to Cyberknife) every other day. He told me if I wait too long he may not be able to offer me 5 treatments and would have to up it to 25 treatments for example. He seems like the most conservative of the 3. I left his office and cried for the next 2 days. He said he almost guaranteed my thyroid hormones would be damaged.
Doc2: 3 treatments with TrueBeam, same dose as doc 1 but done in 3 sessions vs 5 to make sure we kill this thing. (I thought she had Cyberknife but they upgraded their system and TrueBeam seems to be the new machine in this area). She also said she'd prescribe a steroid to take before treatments. She said doc1's recommendation was puny. But are higher doses of radiation really better or safer? I really liked this doctor.
Doc3: He's in Dallas and thinks he could do 1 dose with Gamma Knife. It would most likely be a one day trip. This would be the highest amount of radiation which long term isn't always good. This doctor said the other recommendations would have similar outcomes. Gamma Knife radiation has been around the longest and I wouldn't have to have the bolts in my head. This doctor was very knowledgeable as well.
If this were you, what would you choose?
On another note, a nice man from Nigeria told me he could cure me with some roots for only $100 USD.
Doc4: I decided to seek a 4th opinion from my primary care physician. He told me if it were him he'd go with option 3, the Gamma Knife in Dallas. His reasoning was very similar to my reasoning of why I went to Dallas in the first place to talk to the doctor. The gamma knife is the oldest radiation for brain tumors. The fact that they recently stopped having to place bolts in a patient's head makes it less barbaric in my opinion. I think if that was what I'd need I'd go with option 2. The Dallas doctors are excellent and treat more of my kind of tumors than anyone else in the area. He also said it wouldn't hurt to take the roots from the guy in Africa if I wanted. He read over what they were and said it couldn't hurt. Embarrassingly I tried to purchase the roots from Africa and paypal blocked my payment. The guy in Africa told me I could go to a gas station and get a gas card to send money that way. Something didn't feel right so I'm not going with the roots. I take several supplements for brain health and will continue drinking smoothies and fresh juices as well as walking to give my body the best chance possible.
In the end, I pray that God is glorified through this. Having a brain tumor was never on my list of wishes. However, God is faithful and I'm trusting in His plan for my life. Please pray Jeremiah's prayer of deliverance for me and with me. This is such a great verse to pray over anyone going through issues needing to be healed from.
Jeremiah 17:14: "Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise."
No comments:
Post a Comment