Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Caden's New School

Last week I received a call that there was an opening at a preschool that Caden was on the waiting list for. His friend, Shelby, goes there and loves it. I had considered sending him somewhere if I found the right place. I visited 5 different schools last spring for this year and nothing seemed right. I LOVE homeschooling and we'll continue going through My Father's World K. However, life with a newborn has been hard. I have felt bad that we haven't been able to meet up with friends as much as we used to. The weather has been very cold. Thankfully, this week, we have wonderful weather! Caden is very social and loves playing with other kids. In January I decided to call this school and see if there were any openings. He was 3rd on the waiting list. Yesterday was his first day. He had a great time. I love that they do music, Spanish, gymnastics, have chapel, play, and of course work on handwriting and phonics, etc. But mostly it seems like a place to have fun. Caden's so smart and active that he doesn't need a lot of reinforcement with academics right now. He's 4, for crying out loud. :) This school also has a wonderful playground and a huge gym. I also found out that one of the teachers from his gymnastics place teaches gymnastics at his school. Another ironic thing is his teacher is also a teacher at his old school. She works there MWF and at his new school Tues/Thurs.
 
Picture of our family he drew last week
When I picked him up, he was doing a States puzzle with another boy. On the ride home he excitedly told me about his day and all the fun he had. The story they read was about a boy who disobeyed and that wasn't good. I was pleased with the details he shared.  He's really grown this past year both in communication and in maturity. I think keeping him home this year has been really good for him. But I think he's also fine to be in a classroom and will excel at home or away. Even when we homeschool, we'll be involved in co-ops and activities with other kids and families.
 
Yesterday was beautiful. We spent most of the afternoon when he got home outside. I got Grace down for a nap and was able to have fun with Caden outside. Once she woke up, the three of us enjoyed the weather. He loved swinging, jumping on his trampoline, and of course driving his jeep. He really wanted to make a mud puddle or mud pie with some soil from our pots and the water. I didn't want him to get all muddy since he had basketball practice that evening.
 
 
Speaking of basketball, I got to take him to his basketball practice last night which was nice. I hadn't been to a practice since his first one before Grace was born. He's getting better at dribbling and throwing the ball higher every time. He still hasn't made a basket from standing on the ground but with time and practice he'll get there. I loved playing basketball when I was a kid and have missed playing with him and working on his basketball skills. I love watching my boy have fun!
 

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Glad you found a school you like! It will be nice for you and Grace to have a little one on one time and for Caden to get out and play with friends :)