Saturday, August 18, 2012

MOPS Convention

This past week I have been wanting to write about this but I rarely have time to sit at my computer.  I have been in MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) for over 3 years.  I started going to a few meetings while I was pregnant with Caden.  Some of my dear friends I met in MOPS in Germany were true life savers.  While we lived overseas, it was in some ways like college all over again.  Collin and I ended up meeting friends for life.  Most likely we'll never live in the same city again, but our friendship will forever remain strong.  Most of my friends I met through MOPS, PWOC (protestant women of the chapel) and at church.  My closest friends in Germany besides my next door neighbors who were awesome, were the ladies I met in my military MOPS group.

I have been wanting to attend a MOPS convention for years.  In fact, last year, I almost attended with my MOPS coordinator but the funding fell through and it didn't work out.  This year the convention was in Texas.  I really wanted to go but honestly had only attended one MOPS meeting since arriving back in Texas and didn't really know the girls very well I met there.  This was before I had my 3rd miscarriage in the spring and then kind of dropped off the face of the earth for a few months while we moved and got settled and I wept about my loss.
A week before the convention, my good friend, Jane, asked me if I was going.  She said if I went I could stay with her and share her room at the Gaylord for free.  Wow!  Registration was kind of expensive but in my opinion the learning opportunities were priceless.  Being a mother of a preschool is my full time job, so of course going to a convention that is about my job could only be beneficial.  Collin gladly agreed and even took a day off work so he could watch Caden.  This was my first time ever to spend the night away from Caden.  I know he's 3, but I still had a difficult time.  Thankfully I knew he was in great hands and was able to sleep peacefully at night and enjoy the convention and some girl time with my friends. 
Collin and Caden had a blast together.  They cooked out, had one of Collin's friends over for a guys movie night (Caden went to bed), played games, went to Chuck E Cheese, took a long hike around the fields in our neighborhood, and really enjoyed their guy time.
I greatly enjoyed the convention.  Besides staying with Jane, who used to live 5 minutes from me, I got to see another good friend from Germany, Rachel.  Her son, William, and Caden are around the same age.  She also has another daughter.  Both of these ladies now live back in the States, one in Virginia and the other in Colorado.  I also met up with three of the ladies in my new MOPS group and we had a late night Thursday night talking and hanging out in their room. They are all very nice and I look forward to hanging out with them more as this year continues.  One of the girls even has chickens!  

One thing that I feel was laid on my heart at the convention was to start a MOPS group at my church.  My church has never had one.  I have talked about this with several ladies and asked why we don't have one.  One said she didn't know and told me I should start one.  A few others said it was a great idea and another one said she would sign her name with mine and help me start one.  I have talked with one of the ministers and need to fill out some paper work.  There's a process, like everything else, to start a group like this.  We are new to our church and don't know very many people very well yet.  But we're starting to and I'm very excited about this new ministry possibility.  Our church is very outwardly focused so I know MOPS would be a great fit.  While we're getting the MOPS group set-up at my church, I'll continue going to the MOPS group I joined last spring.  Please say a prayer that everything works out if it's God's plan.   

A year ago in Germany, Jane stepped down as coordinator.  At that time I thought about stepping up but did not feel ready.  This year is different.  I feel like God has prepared me for this.  And I know, if this ministry does not work out at our church, I'll continue to be in my current MOPS group and will serve in other ways at my church.  The coordinator in my current MOPS group asked if I would join the leadership team.  I told her I would pray about it and let her know.  It was nice of her to think of me and I'll gladly help out.  Her MOPS group is new and I was on the steering committee in Germany so I think I'll be able to help them build their group as well.  If you have a preschooler and have never been to MOPS, consider finding a group.  It's a great ministry for both stay-at-home mamas and working mamas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marisa,do you mean us with "closest friends in Germany" ? Thank you very much !!!
Best regards to everyone
Michael

Jocelyn said...

that is cool that you are starting a MOPS at your church. I have always thought that Legacy has needed one too, but haven't been motivated/brave enough to look into starting one. I hope it goes well! Glad you got to have a weekend away, too :)

Marisa said...

Michael, yes.

Jocelyn, you should! If you decide this is something you want to do, let me know and I can help you if you want. When we thought we were going to live close to Legacy I was seriously thinking about starting one there as well.