Monday, August 27, 2012

Meet the Teacher!

Ready to meet my teacher
Caden is starting preschool this fall.  Today was Meet the Teacher Day at his school.  His teacher's name is Ms. Susan (I'll try and get a picture Wednesday).  She seems like a wonderful woman and I'm excited about him having her as his teacher.  She has 4 kids, one single and triplets, all grown.  There are eight kids in his class and we got to meet most of them today, we already knew one of the kids and hopefully Caden will become better friends with him and the other kids this school year.  After we met his teacher and saw his classroom Caden and I went on a picnic to celebrate the upcoming year of new friendships and experiences. Below Caden's enjoying fruit.
 
I have had mixed feelings about Caden going to preschool.  We already do preschool things at home and he's ahead academically, according to his doctor.  However, after prayer and talking it over with Collin we decided that socially, preschool would be a good idea this fall.  We had hoped that we would have more children by now and he'd have a sibling to play with, fight with, and learn with, but that is not God's plan for us right now. Currently, Caden and I meet with other moms and kids at least once a week outside of church.  But I felt like he has not been able to really connect with anyone set of friends.  Mainly because our outings and the people who come are different each time.  So I thought preschool would give him a chance to make some closer friends like he had when we were in Germany.  And it will give me a chance to get some things done that I have not been able to do since moving here.  He also loves other kids so he'll have fun spending more time with them.
 
Our church has an accredited Christian preschool that meets three days a week.  The school is less than 10 minutes from our house which is perfect.  Caden will only be going two days a week because it's kind of expensive and we are a one income family.  They give a 10% discount if you pay the year upfront so that helped some too.  There's an inside playground (for rainy or bad weather days) and an outside playground (they use most days).  He'll be able to learn Spanish at school (Collin has been teaching him at home), kindermusik as well as other forms of music, art, Bible, attend chapel, math, science, language arts, and enjoy lots of playing with the kids.  I was pleased to learn that they have centers because I really like centers and having an organized approach to things.  In Germany I did centers with him pretty much after bringing him home from the hospital.  Then we went to activity trays.  He is very independent and I'm hoping this will give him a chance to learn to better work with others his age, I think he'll do great but he hasn't really been given the chance.
 
Caden's first day of school is Wednesday.  Collin asked how today went and I told him Wednesday will be a little harder.  Today wasn't too bad because I was with him and we were together the whole day like usual.  I'm just praying that he'll enjoy it (I think he will) and this will be a fun experience for all of us.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

very exciting! Levi has his meet the teach this Wednesday and starts pre-school on Tuesday. I'm excited but nervous too. I'm sure Caden will do great, he is SO smart! Can't wait to hear how it goes, sounds like a great school and very similar to Levi's.