Monday, March 28, 2011

Linderhof Castle, Marriage Retreat, and Illnesses

Linderhof Gardens
Two weekends ago we went to Garmisch for a marriage retreat. We had a good time despite Caden getting sick and Collin being sick. Monday after we returned Caden started throwing up everything and had a temperature over 103. We took him to the ER at the children's hospital. We were there 4.5 hours. Some of his friends had hand, foot, and mouth disease but with that they were not throwing up. It ended up he had a viral infection and we had to give him medicine around the clock. Tuesday his fever got really scary, it jumped to 104.9 degrees. Finally Wednesday afternoon his temperature broke. He was still throwing up but thankfully is now looking better and has not thrown up since last Friday.

I am exhausted from this whole thing. Collin slept in our guest room last week so I wouldn't catch his cold and so he could quietly sleep through the night. Collin and Caden had different things so they needed to stay away from one another. I on the other hand, am not sick but am extremely exhausted. Caden hasn't slept through the night in over a week. He wakes up and just wants "Mommy!" I had been bringing him to my room last week because he would get so upset he'd throw up and he quickly calms down and falls asleep next to me when I bring him to my room. Now that Collin is back our queen bed is just not big enough for three of us. So last night was very tiring. Caden went to sleep and woke up twice, after the second time I did not have the energy to stay with him. I brought him to our room and he flopped around like a fish for 45 minutes I finally took him back to his room and layed him in his crib. He immediately stood up and starting crying/screaming "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy" which we call the song of Mommy. Anyway, I didn't have it in me to stay in there. Collin graciously got up and tried getting him back to sleep and ended up sleeping with him in the other room. We are both so frustrated and tired of his night wakings and getting upset and throwing up. He seems for the most part completely better except for some congestion. Since we're leaving for Italy in a week I think we'll wait until we get back to work on the sleep training again. Getting a child to sleep is more difficult than people tell you. Nobody warmed me of these challenges before I had him.

On the way home from our marriage retreat we stopped at the Linderhof Castle in Graswang Valley in Bavaria. This was the primary residence of King Ludwig II. It was very ornate. The gardens were closed but resemble the gardens of Versailles in France. We took an English tour of the castle. Photos were not allowed inside and sadly the gardens surrounding the castle were roped off. However, we did get a private tour. The other people in our English tour group spoke Italian so our guide led us through and behind us the other group heard a tape recording in Italian. It was nice to get to ask more questions about the castle and the king.

Here are a few pictures from our weekend.

Balcony at hotel in Garmisch

No more pictures, please!

Linderhof Castle behind us

Linderhof

Linderhof


No comments: