Thursday, August 5, 2010

Two Years in Deutschland

Yesterday was our two year anniversary of living in Germany.  Have we really been expats for two years?  Some days it seems like only yesterday we moved here.  Other days it seems like we've lived here a lot longer.

Collin and I have grown so much since moving overseas.  Not only have we grown as a couple but also individually.  For me personally I have become much more assertive.  Germany has helped me in this regard.  I also have become more compassionate, thanks to all the loneliness and frustration that comes with living in a country that doesn't speak your language. 

Here's a brief flashback to two years ago.  Collin and I arrived early Monday morning.  His new boss picked us up at the airport.  Our plane was delayed.  Neither one of us had ever been to Germany before.  We were each others only friend in a strange country.  That was tough.  We lived in a hotel for the first two months before moving into our house.  Our furniture did not arrive until almost 2 weeks after moving into our house and we had a lot of problems here.  We had one car for the first 8 months.  I got pregnant in less than two months of living here.  Collin went to work all day while I tried learning German and walked around the communities exploring our new country.  I joined some ladies' Bible studies and did a lot of thinking and writing. 

Our first weekend here our rental car got locked in a garage downtown.  We had no idea that they closed certain underground garages after 9pm!  It too a while to find someone willing to help us.  Finally after over an hour we were able to get our car out and head back to our hotel.  We quickly signed up for German classes after that.  We experienced the importance of knowing German.

Not having a job when we moved was very difficult for me.  I wanted to work but there was nothing in my field.  Once I was pregnant and my German doctor found out I wasn't immune to rubella I was told I couldn't go to church, Bible studies, or get a job until I was at least 20 weeks pregnant.  By the time I hit 20 weeks there was no point in finding a job because I had decided that I wanted to be a full time mom and stay home with our child.  Little did I know how tiring and challenging that would be!  At least once a week I think about the material things we could have if I worked, I'm sacrificing a lot of money for this child, and at the same time I could not imagine my life any different.  Sure we have less money than a lot of our friends but we manage well and still have been able to take some incredible vacations.  We have learned to do without and stay out of debt which means a lot to me.

Most of the time we eat at home.  If you've ever been to Europe you know how long it can take to eat out.  Caden does pretty well when we go out to eat but he has his moments and doesn't want to sit there more than 10-15 minutes sometimes.  However, I do agree with the Germans that going out to dinner should be a celebration.  I appreciate the fact that we are never rushed out the door after our food arrives with the waiter saying "I'll leave this check for you when you're ready."  It's nice having a table for an evening and being able to talk and take our time eating.  With the price of eating out, shouldn't it be a celebration anyway?  Eating out is considered a luxury.  Most of the people in the world prepare their own food.  One time in France we asked a lady where a good restaurant was.  She didn't know because she never eats out since she lives there.  She said she always goes home and cooks her food.  Interesting.  Could you imagine never eating out in your hometown?  I personally cannot.

Yesterday our neighbor finished a beautiful hand-carved copper picture of the Heidelberg castle for us.  We felt so honored that he made us such a special gift.  It took a while to make friends here but I know the few German friends we do have will be our friends for life.  I think about all our "friends" back home and wonder how many of them would be there for us if we needed something at 3am.  I'm sure if you are taking the time to read this then you are one of them and we thank you.

Our time in Germany is going quickly.  We would love to host any of our friends during this next year.  Germany is a beautiful country and there is a lot to see and do.  We live in a pretty central location in Europe and LOVE having friends and family visit us.

Here are a few pictures of our beautiful picture and a few of Caden too. 

Our good friend and neighbor, Michael, giving us the beautiful copper picture

He did an amazing job!

Our little guy in action.  I finally got a shot of him smiling while he was on the go.

He's such a happy and sweet child.       

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

has it really been 2 years?!?!
i love the art work and the pics of Caden...he is just too cute! can't wait to see him in person...it's getting close!