Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our Deutsch Freund

It's been a few weeks since I last wrote.  We have been super busy.  Two weekends ago our good friend, Bernd, came to see us.  He's German but living in Texas now.  He and his wife came and saw us a few months after we first moved to Germany when we were both pregnant.  We took a trip with them to Venice then.  He was on business this time and stayed an extra weekend to come see us.  We had a great time catching up and talking.  We were so glad he came to see us.  Caden thought he was fun to hang out with too. 

I will say I learn more about the German way everyday.  Bernd enjoyed teaching me about some strange foods Germans eat that I would NEVER eat.  For instance, Collin and Bernd were very kind to let me stay in bed Saturday morning while they took Caden and walked down town to the bakery.  When they came back I found out that Bernd stopped by the meat market and got himself a sandwich.  What kind of sandwich?  A RAW pork sandwich.  Did he cook it?  Nope.  So nasty!  Yes, our friend ate raw pork for breakfast.  He didn't eat it just one day but both mornings he was here.  Collin told him not to touch our stroller after he ordered that and to wash his hands and not touch anything because I would be grossed out.  Thank you, Collin.  For dinner one night Bernd ordered a dish that was cooked inside a pig's stomach.  However, at this restaurant they no longer cook it in a pig's stomach.  I was worried about that when he ordered it.  It's interesting how much the American and German cultures are alike and yet they are also so different.  All in all we were both very glad to see Bernd, catch up with him, and learn more about his country. 

Here are a few pictures from Bernd's visit.





1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

i'm so glad he was able to stop by and see you guys while he was traveling! looks like you had a nice visit and he said he really enjoyed seeing you all too!