Last week we started Caden on goat's milk. He would take a small sip and look at me, take another one or two sips then push it aside. After three days of trying goat's milk I opened the organic whole cow's milk I bought. He did the same thing with that. Since I am weaning him (or would like to) at least from the middle of the day feeding, I want to make sure he will at least drink some milk. When I offer him his water he gulps it down like a thirsty runner.
A few days ago I decided to dilute the cow's milk with half water. He loves water. He drank about an ounce. Yesterday, he drank 4 oz., which is about 2 oz. of cow's milk, today so far an ounce. I hope to try it with goat's milk, I just bought some more since the first one went bad.
I was wondering, did anyone else have trouble getting their child to drink milk? If so, what did you do? I was worried that Caden might have an allergic reaction to the cow milk since Collin is lactose intolerant. However, he seems to be okay with it. I will continue a few more days with the cow's milk, then try goat's milk again and might alternate between the two.
On a side note, he had been putting himself to sleep for the past three nights. I don't know if it is because he's just really tired or he has reached the age of learning to sleep on his own. I wrote about it on my lady expat blog and basically how we did everything "wrong" according to some people's theories on sleep training but it seems to be working out fine afterall. You can read about our no cry sleep solution here. Of course it has still only been 3 nights, once we hit a week we'll really be celebrating and might even go out on a date without Caden. Of course this morning he woke up at 4:30am. My sweet husband went in there and at 5am thought he was hungry. I told him he was probably just tired. Well, it ended up being is was just really hot. It gets very hot in our part of Germany during this time of year. Sadly MOST places do not have a/c. We bought two single units for our house, one in our bedroom and one downstairs in our living room. Caden's room was the hottest room in the house. We had his ceiling fan going, a fan from the hall blowing air in his room but it was still hot. Once he came to our room he fell asleep close to 6am. Collin ended up going to work early since I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon and need him to watch Caden.
One other thing. I would love some advice on getting your baby to sleep without breastfeeding. I've been trying to wean him from the day feedings (before his nap) and have not been very successful. I wish I would have done this sooner. Ultimately, I guess there is no real "rush" per say, but I would like to change the habit of him nursing to sleep and go ahead and drop to two feedings a day. Thanks!
One other thing. I would love some advice on getting your baby to sleep without breastfeeding. I've been trying to wean him from the day feedings (before his nap) and have not been very successful. I wish I would have done this sooner. Ultimately, I guess there is no real "rush" per say, but I would like to change the habit of him nursing to sleep and go ahead and drop to two feedings a day. Thanks!
3 comments:
When we weaned Joshua to milk, I started by mixing bottles that were 3/4 breast milk and 1/4 cow's milk. I did that for a week and then went 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, 1/4 breast milk 3/4 cow's milk for a week and then all cow's milk. He switched over pretty well. I also cheated here and there with a chocolate flavored vitamin mix that we mixed up with the milk once a day.
I haven't started to wean Levi yet, but I have stopped nursing him to sleep. What I did was I started by just altering the order of our bedtime routine at night... we used to do bath, books then nurse to sleep...about a month ago I started nursing him before his bath with the lights on bright(nurse, bath, books, rock to sleep). At first it did take a while of rocking and singing to get him to calm down enough to sleep. It worked really well for us and now he doesn't even have to be asleep when I put him down. Sometimes he will fuss or "talk" for 1-2 minutes, but then he goes right to sleep and doesn't get very upset. After about 2 weeks of doing that for night we started doing it at nap time too. I am hoping that since he is not nursing to sleep anymore we will have an easier time switching over to the milk in a sippy before naps and bed. We will see in about a month!
With my daughter's naps during the day, I try to get her to sleep with a pucky. I know that she isn't hungry, since she just had either breakfast or lunch (or in some cases a snack). I lay down with her and pop in the pucky and sing...she likes "the wheels on the bus", which is a bit odd, but it does the trick. ;)
Post a Comment