Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Akupunktur

Today I went for my first Akupunktur (acupuncture) appointment. I was not sure what to expect but it is highly recommended for pregnant women in Germany. The hospital I am planning on delivering at has walk-in appointments every Tuesday from 10am-noon for pregnant women 36+ weeks along. Now that I am in my 37th week I thought I would give it a shot. Honestly, I really did not know much about this ancient Chinese practice until after I had it done.

Collin went with me because (1) I do not like parking downtown (European parking areas are very tiny compared to American and many times we have to park in a spot that in the States we would not even consider to be a parking spot) and (2) his German is better than mine. So after my PWOC board meeting this morning I met Collin to go to the hospital. I walked into a room where about 6 other pregnant mothers were sitting and the midwife, who, thankfully spoke really good English. The midwife asked Collin to wait down the hall. I was hoping he could stay with me. As I looked at the needles sticking out of the other women's legs I kind of panicked and thought maybe I should "wait down the hall" and leave. But curiosity got the best of me and I decided to at least try it once.

Basically the midwife stuck 4 tiny needles in each leg. She told me it would not hurt and that this will help my labor and delivery. She told me to watch the clock and after 20 minutes she would remove the needles. The needles stayed in for 25 minutes. The German lady next to me explained to me that acupuncture can really help with labor and delivery. She said it helps thin the cervix. It was nice sitting next to someone who spoke English so I had someone to talk to. I also learned that women who receive acupuncture during pregnancy often have shorter and easier birth experiences than women who do not receive acupuncture. That was my main reason for doing this. I thought if something would help then why not try it. There are several European studies concluding that women who received acupuncture once a week during the last month of pregnancy had significantly shorter labors than women who did not receive any. Acupuncture has been used for thousands of years to help women support a healthy pregnancy and uncomplicated delivery.

Honestly, the needles did not hurt until it was almost time to take them out. Even the small amount of pain I did feel was not very much. And I am not a needle person. I do not like shots or having my blood drawn. I think next week if I go and the midwife puts the needles in my toes that will hurt but today it was not too bad.

After my acupuncture treatment I went to see a doctor who works in the hospital. Many of my American friends go to him or have gone to him when they were pregnant. Since I do not have a doctor's appointment this week and need to go every week he said I could see him today. So I literally walked in. I also saw one of my friends from MOPS in the waiting room. It was really nice going to a doctor and seeing someone I know. This doctor was not nearly as thorough as my doctor and mainly talked to me about when to come to the hospital when I go into labor. He did the baby heart monitoring and that was pretty much it. It was the fastest and least exciting appointment I have had my whole pregnancy. I was hoping for an ultrasound but will just have to wait until next week when I see my doctor again. I am sure I could call and make an appointment to see my doctor this week if I wanted to but I think I will wait until next week. The baby's heart is beating strong and everything seems to be going well.

4 comments:

The Campbell Family said...

Sounds like a neat experience of acupuncture. I've always wondered about that stuff, but I'm like you with needles and blood draws and stuff! Yuck! Hope the next 2 weeks go great for you! Yay for being close :) Be sure to post pictures as soon as he arrives so those of us in the USA can see! ;)

Collin and Marisa said...

Living in Germany has increased my sense of adventure. I was pretty nervous to have it done but honestly it was way less painful than any other needle pricking I have ever had. I was pretty surprised. We will post pictures once he's born. We can't wait!

Monique and Michael said...

Well you'll definitely have to keep us all posted on if the accupuncture was worth it!! I'm not a needle person either, but if it makes the delivery and labor experience an easier one, it might just be worth it. Haha! Glad to here you're still doing great!! It's coming up quick!!!

Anonymous said...

GIRL!....you are braver than me...I would not have let any one poke me with needles for that long! Do you feel different?