I went to the doctor tonight, not my doctor but another one since my doctor's office is closed for two weeks celebrating a German holiday. I have not gained any weight in over a month now but my baby has. Our son's estimated weight is now around 3350 grams which is a little over 7 lbs. He dropped this last weekend. When I was hooked up to the heart monitor (German doctors seem to do more check-ups than American doctors) for my 30-minute session I had two contractions. During my ultrasound (yes, I still get ultrasounds every visit, one thing I love about Germany) the doctor saw that we are getting really close to delivery. He was able to tell by looking at my placenta. Pretty cool. We got a really nice 3-D picture of his face tonight. The doctor checked my baby's nutrition and mine and said everything looks really good. The doctor also said I could deliver at anytime now and deliever a healthy baby based on his blood flow, heart rate, size, and nutrition level.

I think this is an amazing picture
One more cool thing about going to the doctors in Germany is that you get to see them do your lab work. Like I said several months ago my doctor uses a microscope every visit to check my body's pH level and other things. Since I have not used a microscope since I was in college and will probably never use one for a job, I think it is really neat to see a professional up close examine things right in front of me rather than send them off to a lab somewhere. Even though many might think Germany's medical practice is a little "old school" I think overall it is pretty good. They really try and prepare you for natural and drug free deliveries if possible. They also like to keep mother and child in the hospital for 72 hours after a normal delivery. I'm not sure I'll enjoy being in the hospital that long but it is nice to know I won't be kicked out. They say it is better for the mother and baby to stay longer. In the U.S. they used to keep women in the hospital longer than they do now. Once I have the baby I'll let you know what I think about it and what my experience was like. We are getting excited.
5 comments:
What an awesome picture! I bet you guys are getting so excited!
WOW!!! That is a sharp picture of the baby.
Love his picture! That is very neat. I forget, but do you have a name picked out already?? It's interesting to hear the differences in Germany, but it's neat too. My friend that had her baby on Sunday left the hospital after 48 hours, but more of choice since it was a natural birth. I'm sure it will be nice for you to get some extra help before bringing baby home on your own. :)
I'm so excited for you! It's getting close! I absolutely love the picture of the little guy, it must be so incredibly awesome to get an idea of what he looks like before you get to "meet" him. :) I'll definitely be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for safety for mommy and baby!! :)
Awesome picture! How exciting, it is getting close!
Post a Comment