This year Caden participated in his first VBS. Our church had a VBS day camp which was Monday - Thursday from 10am-3pm, for kids age 3 to 5th grade. This year's theme was chasing the light, the light being of course Christ! I was blessed with the opportunity to teach his class. At first we thought there would be about 20 kids, the morning of we found out there would be 43 kids in the 3-4 year old class. What a blessing! Almost half of them will be going to preschool with him the fall. This was a great opportunity to get to know some of the kids better.
Everyday I did a little skit with one of the teens. We talked about how God made us (creation); God loves us (the Wise Men follow the star that leads to Jesus. God gives the best gifts); Jesus wants to be our friend forever (Jesus heals the blind man, Jesus helps people); and God thinks we're special (parable of the lost coin).
Throughout the week the kids got to participate in a lot of fun activities that went along with the theme for each day. They got to ride ponies, pet some animals at a little petting zoo, meet police officers and go through their car, jump in some bounce houses, and do lots of other activities and crafts.
On Wednesday night the kids did a program. Caden was super tired and so he kept rubbing his eyes but it was fun to see the kids sing some songs.
A few things I really like about our church is how much they serve and love people. Every Tuesday they have a community lunch where they serve between 150-200 people. I look forward to taking Caden to help serve when he gets a little older. They have a building dedicated to sharing goods with those in need. We have a community garden to grow fresh produce to give to people in the community. Many people in community help with this as well. I love the fact that everyone who walks in the doors is welcomed. In fact, Collin met a homeless child one Sunday after we had just started going. They met in the bathroom where the child told him that he and his family were living in a car. I love that our church welcomes those who are in need or who have nothing and they feel safe coming in the doors. Isn't that what Christ's love is about? Serving and loving one another? Everyday before VBS started children in need could come an hour early for breakfast and get to read with an adult one-on-one. I was able to help with this neat ministry one morning and the kids loved it. We are so blessed to be part of a church family with people dedicated to sharing God's love with those in the community and abroad. If you are looking for a church home, please let me know and I'd love to welcome you to ours.
Here are a few pictures we took at the program.
A few things I really like about our church is how much they serve and love people. Every Tuesday they have a community lunch where they serve between 150-200 people. I look forward to taking Caden to help serve when he gets a little older. They have a building dedicated to sharing goods with those in need. We have a community garden to grow fresh produce to give to people in the community. Many people in community help with this as well. I love the fact that everyone who walks in the doors is welcomed. In fact, Collin met a homeless child one Sunday after we had just started going. They met in the bathroom where the child told him that he and his family were living in a car. I love that our church welcomes those who are in need or who have nothing and they feel safe coming in the doors. Isn't that what Christ's love is about? Serving and loving one another? Everyday before VBS started children in need could come an hour early for breakfast and get to read with an adult one-on-one. I was able to help with this neat ministry one morning and the kids loved it. We are so blessed to be part of a church family with people dedicated to sharing God's love with those in the community and abroad. If you are looking for a church home, please let me know and I'd love to welcome you to ours.
Here are a few pictures we took at the program.
| The kids singing "This Little Light of Mine" |
| Picture of the slide show showing Caden riding a pony |
1 comment:
sounds like a great VBS experience! I'm so glad you guys are loving your church :)
Post a Comment