Mother's Day has been difficult for me since I was 12. That was the first year I experienced Mother's Day without my own mom. Since Mother's Day is always on a Sunday, moms are usually celebrated at church that day, which I think is great. It has just been sad not getting to celebrate with my mom on this earth. I look forward to the day of greeting her in Heaven.
Even though I no longer have my own mother to celebrate Mother's Day with, I have been blessed with some amazing women. A few of them include: my maternal grandmother who really stepped in after the passing of my mother. She has been a Christian mentor, mother-like, and friend to me my whole life. My paternal grandmother has been kind and encouraging to me as well. My step-mother came into my life later on and has been a blessing and support. And my mother-in-law whom I refer to as my other mother. She calls me almost as much as Collin does. She has been a friend and mentor to me as well. There are many others who have been an encouragement to me. Some are peers, others are older, and some are younger. I am truly blessed to have such wonderful Christian women to help guide and support me in my own motherhood.
For Mother's Day we decided to visit Collin's parents. It's not as easy trip because it takes us 8 hours in the car to get there. But we enjoy every bit of it. Caden loves his grandparents and enjoys the country. Collin's parents have been married 59 years and serve as a great example of two people who love each other very much.
This was the first long car trip we let Caden just wear underwear on. I had brought a pull-up for night even though he usually wakes up dry and goes to the potty. However, to our surprise, he fell asleep not too long after we headed out, which made for a long trip. We left at 3pm and didn't arrive until 11pm. So he was up until midnight while only getting that short nap. He had had a drink before we left the house so I knew he'd need to go as soon as he woke up. It is hard to pull over on the highway and get to a restroom when a child wakes up from a deep 45 minutes nap. So he had a little accident which was sad because he had only had one other accident in the car when I was driving across town and couldn't get off the road and find a bathroom in time. But we cleaned him up and he's done great the rest of the trip.
I love being a mom. This has been one of the greatest adventures in my life. Caden is such a joy and truly the best kid for our family. He's smart, funny, cute, and keeps us on our toes! All day today Caden has told me "Happy Mother's Day Mommy!" and has brought me flowers and given me hugs and kisses. Caden and Collin gave me a sweet Mother's Day card and some great gifts. Collin is giving me a gift of time alone, a rarity, being a stay-at-home mama. He's also sending me off to get a pedicure with my step-mother and sister for some girl time.
Happy Mother's Day to all the amazing mothers out there! You have one of the hardest but most rewarding jobs in the world.
Pictures to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment