Cade is 4 months old today. He has grown so much these past 4 months it's amazing. We took him to his 4 month well baby doctor's appointment Friday. He is now 18.6 lbs and 27 in. long! The doctor said he looks great and he is a strong and healthy boy. The doctor also said we should start him on solids soon because most babies over 18 lbs cannot get enough food from breast milk. That made me sad because I really wanted to breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 months of Cade's life. The doctor told me once he starts waking up in the middle of the night that we should begin then. Right now he sleeps on average 11 hours a night with the longest stretch of 7 hours between feedings. I read that for many babies sleeping 5 hours straight is considered sleeping through the night. I have felt more rested since he started sleeping longer. We went ahead and bought some rice cereal and several organic jars of baby food to have on hand. However, I'd really like to wait as long as possible before starting solids. If I can make it another month that would be great. I also don't want the poor baby to go hungry, so if it is sooner than another month or two then we'll give him baby food.
We recently sat him in his high chair at the table. Usually we either take turns holding him or put him in his car seat while we eat. The other night we decided to try his high chair since he's sitting up really well now and we want him to get used to it before we start feeding him solids. He seemed to like it.
Cade has also refused to take a bottle since we returned from our trip back to the States. So we tried a sippy cup with breast milk and he enjoyed holding it and drinking from it.
Cade has been smiling and laughing more. It's so much fun to watch him grow and learn. He has the cutest smile but once you bring a camera out he stops smiling and stares at it. We try and take pictures when he's not looking to get one of him smiling.
We recently sat him in his high chair at the table. Usually we either take turns holding him or put him in his car seat while we eat. The other night we decided to try his high chair since he's sitting up really well now and we want him to get used to it before we start feeding him solids. He seemed to like it.
Cade has also refused to take a bottle since we returned from our trip back to the States. So we tried a sippy cup with breast milk and he enjoyed holding it and drinking from it.
Cade has been smiling and laughing more. It's so much fun to watch him grow and learn. He has the cutest smile but once you bring a camera out he stops smiling and stares at it. We try and take pictures when he's not looking to get one of him smiling.
Here are some new pictures of our sweet little boy!
3 comments:
What a cutie! I wouldn't worry too much if you have to start him on some solids in the next month or so because you can still supplement with breastmilk and he will be getting all the necessary nutrients that he needs from you too. :) Congrats on your growing little boy!
aw he is going to be such a heartbreaker! I cant wait to meet him in person and hopefully soon!! I really want to come visit next year but got save up vacation time and money.
love the pics! I can't believe he is sitting up! He is getting so big! I think that breast milk must be doing him just fine :)
Post a Comment