Thursday, August 6, 2009

It has been a year!

We just celebrated our 1-year anniversary being in Germany. We left the U.S. last year on August 3 and arrived August 4. So much has changed this past year. The best blessing we have received while in Germany is our son. Overall things are much better than they were a year ago. Here's my new perspective of Germany since we've now lived here a year.

- Germany is a very pretty country and there are a lot of wonderful things to see and do
- I have learned how to cope with the different culture. For example, I no longer smile at Germans as I pass them unless I know them.
- I don't ask anyone if they speak English because of all the no responses I've had, rather I speak my little German and what I don't know I ask in English. So far I've received a much better response to this approach.
- Once I actually was looking pregnant Germans were friendlier to me.
- The Germans in our area really like babies, several of my friends have had different experiences but since having Caden many people have stopped and talked to us and wanted to see him.
- I miss central air conditioning and heating, especially having air conditioning.
- It's tiring being parents but a lot of fun too!
- Germany is in a great central location in Europe and based on its geographical location we have been able to travel to many wonderful other countries. The friendliest countries we've been to are The Netherlands and Italy. We have also had a really good experience in France as well and several other countries but those stick out the most.
- The U.S. Dollar does not go very far in Europe
- You don't have to pay to change your baby at most gas stations, you also don't have to pay if you're handicapped
- We have had some interesting people stop by our house, one man from a circus collecting donations for the animals, another guy selling fruit, another selling a vacuum, and another guy from a handicap association selling random things
- It is possible to have a natural and drug free labor and delivery
- I miss having a Roomba
- We of course still miss our family and friends

There are other things too but that's all that has come to mind right now. Overall we have enjoyed our experiences. Collin really likes his job and I'm enjoying my new job. Thankfully my pregnancy weight has dropped fairly quickly and it makes getting around a lot easier. I still have about 10 lbs to go before I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight but was able to start wearing many of my pre-pregnancy pants after 4 weeks. I have not started any exercise program but we do try and walk everyday or every other day. We have wonderful farm fields just a 2 min walk from our front door. The air is fresh and there's plenty of bike trails.





2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I can't believe you guys have already been gone a year! The good news is that means time will fly and you will be back...right :) I love the pics of Caden, he is so handsome and I really think he looks like Collin, but I'm sure there is a lot of you in there too. I hear you guys are coming to TX at the end of August...I'm so excited! Can't wait to get the little guys together :)

The Campbell Family said...

You and Caden are looking great! What wonderful experiences you have had the past year. It's neat hearing about things in Germany from your perspective.